Re: What free software means to me

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/21/2000; 2:26:48 PM
Topic:A History of "Open Source"

Like Eric Raymond spicing up his open source rants with BS about how guns are cool. I feel if he's representing separate movements those issues should be kept separate.

Bingo. Eric Raymond usually has an agenda. He may not tell you the whole story, or he may tell you several stories at once.

Aside from this decidedly unpleasant habit, he can be a really great guy. He writes good software, and he tries to record lots of interesting history.

Here's what Eric Raymond says about his PR role: Take My Job, Please and Understand My Job, Please. He's trying to promote certain beliefs, but I'm personally uncomfortable with some of his methods.

Cheers,
Eric