good journalism

Author:Karl Fast

I get the impression that Dave sees himself as a valuable critic and journalist, but am not convinced that he has left his bias at home as most good journalists do.

What an interesting comment. There is a very large school of thought which says that the whole idea of objective journalism has led to a very stale, boring, and inaccurate style of journalism. Many believe that it is impossible to "leave your bias at home" and that the best thing one can do is acknowledge that.

I read Scripting News even when I thoroughly disagree with Dave because I know his bias, because he's taken the time to explain where he's coming from, and because he is passionate about his beliefs.

While I don't always like what he says, or how, I find it valuable precisely because he has not left his bias at home.

This is not to say all journalists should do this. There is a place for traditional objective journalism, but "journalism" comes in many flavors.