A Handy Secret

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:8/24/2000; 12:11:13 PM
Topic:A softer GPL?

If anyone doesn't want to make that demand, lighter licenses will suffice just fine.

Certain licenses are considered to be "compatible" with the GPL. If you use one of those licenses, you can co-operate with people who use the GPL without using it yourself.

The definition of "compatible" involves some legal technicalities, so I'll just list some examples:

Each of these licenses allows co-operation between proprietary developers and developers who use the GPL.

I routinely donate code to the GNU project under the X license, for example. This doesn't create any outages for me, and it doesn't create any outages for the GNU developers.

Cheers,
Eric