Re: Rock and Roll - On open source

Author:Mark A. Hershberger
Posted:8/29/2000; 10:33:11 AM
Topic:Rock and Roll - On open source

To many programmers, being "employed" is being just as captive as any company that is technological bound to a particular corporation and/or computing platform.

Right on!

With Open Source, sure, there may be a benevolent dictator, but I'm not beholden to him in any way. If he does something I don't like, I can leave. Nothing ties me down. If I have to leave a company, though, I have to find someone else that is willing to shell out some money. Usually, that person wants me to sign away some of my rights in the process. The only choice I have is who controls my income.

Would I like to be paid for my SW work? Sure! Do I want a middleman between me an the person who is paying? No. That is how I see employers: middlemen. I just have to figure out how to route around them.

Mark.