FirstUse

Author:Gary Robinson
Posted:9/4/2000; 6:32:50 AM
Topic:FirstUse

For those concerned about patents, a way of establishing without doubt that you had a particular idea in mind on a particular day is to register a document at FirstUse. You do not upload the document, instead a java applet computes a signature for the doc, and this signature is stored in the FirstUse database.

One great think about it is that this can be used for source code or any files you believe can be used to prove your early date of conception.

For instance, if you regularly make a zip file of your source code for archival purposes, you can register it at FirstUse and no one can argue that you didn't actually have a program that does what that source code does running at a particular time. In PTO terms, this is called an "actual reduction to practice".

Proof that you had something running on a particular date will make it difficult for someone with a later patent to SUCCEED in suing you, although of course they can still hassle you with a suit if they want. Of course, showing them your proof may well make them feel it isn't worth their while.

I should also mention that the greatest beauty of FirstUse is the fact that it is so effortless. You can create unassailable proof very quickly and painlessly.

Just a pointer, for those who may be interested.

I am in no way associated with FirstUse or its personnel, I'm just a satisfied customer.