Re: One Big Computer

Author:Philip Hume
Posted:9/6/2000; 9:48:37 PM
Topic:One Big Computer

The ideas come from people not any corporation or MIT/Parc.

Over the last 10 years, Sun stands out as the only significant vendor to have understood, promoted and developed towards the core idea of open internet standards creating "one big computer"(BTW, a heterogeneous network composed mostly of computers not from Sun - again in contrast to Microsoft's "borg" view).

Sun's efforts did not precipitate the major internet change. Nor do they control these developments in any meaningful way.

As a company, Sun did have the longstanding vision that it would happen. Correct me if I am wrong but, I can't think of another company that held these strong views publicly.

I think it is fair to say that Microsoft is a very late convert to these ideas. What I object to is the fact that they are trying to create the impression that they thought of this and are driving the charge.

I felt Dave's message, intentional or not, unduely reinforced the 'Microsoft is visionary about the net' message.

I agree with you that credit should be distributed...beyond Microsoft. Beyond Sun too. However, let's not give credit where it is not due.

If Microsoft does what they say they are, then they will be deserving of credit.