Business Friendly

Author:John Jensen
Posted:9/8/2000; 7:21:29 AM
Topic:Free Speech or Free Stuff

I hope I can provide some tidbits without being too political:

It is an interesting situation that GNU's public project (Gnome) is largely LGPL, while Troll Tech's alternative is GPL. As I understand it, the key difference between the two GNU licenses is that LGPL libraries can be linked to closed, commercial code. GPL libraries can only be linked to open, GPL-compatible code. I suspect that the Qt license choice was made because Troll Tech sells a commercial developer's license/library to complement their open source one. That's fine, I'm not shooting for a value judgement.

I think it is interesting that the GNU libraries may appeal to commercial developers on a pragmatic level.