Data Captivity in WebApps

Author:Walter Ludwick
Posted:9/8/2000; 8:20:19 AM
Topic:Data Captivity in WebApps

Re: http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$20987 : "...as I said to Petreley, there are other issues that are of more concern to users than having access to source code. What about having access to our data? When I use a web app, I want to be able to download my data. How many services offer this? I lost my calendar on Yahoo a month ago. Gone, the bits forever missing. Is this a serious user-level issue? You bet it is."

I ditto the sentiment 100%. While i've never experienced such sloppy data handing as this at quality services such as Yahoo and eGroups, i have lost it enough times in other "Free" WebApps that i'm always hesitant to use them. Only if they offer unique functionality that i can't get at reasonable cost in a database that in control will i even think of it now -- not if the data is at all important.

This reminds me of a question i've been meaning to ask: before i can build a site at weblogs or ETP dotcom that attracts a community of any significance, i'll need more access to the user database than i've thus far been able to gain. Am i missing something obvious, or is it an un(der)documented feature, or what? I always figured that, to enjoy such a great ad-free service, this was the catch; if i wanted user database access, i'd have to buy a Frontier server. But DW's comments above make me think that may be that's not it; maybe in fact it's just my own cluelessness.

If anyone would kindly advise, i should be most grateful. |/|/