Re: Taking myself less seriously

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/11/2000; 2:57:54 PM
Topic:fork

BTW, voice dialog also explains projection.

Ever notice how some people can talk to you and evoke absolutely no emotion, yet other people, even if they just ask for the time of day make some voice inside you freak out?

Or vice versa. You ask someone for the time of day and they tell you their life story in a high-pitched squeal?

This is because you come pretty close to matching one of the voices inside their head. So instead of being responded to (it's 5:20PM) you're getting the response for the voice.

So, in technical terms, projection is basically a routing error.

The voices get programmed early in life. It's why we "fall in love" with certain people and don't get interested in others. It's why we have types.

I realized this a few weeks ago when I saw an ex-girlfriend at a party. I saw here from the distance and didn't recognize her at first. The first flash was a feeling like a little child seeing his mother. Then I realized "That's XXX."

It totally made me laugh.

BTW, almost all of you map onto my little brother, esp when I treat you with disdain or digust.

"jerry"

PS: I'm first-born. Sometimes I think that's the most important piece of data you can get about someone, after gender and age.