Re: Control of distribution

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/11/2000; 5:43:50 PM
Topic:Discuss by email?

I don't have answers for all these questions. You might ask one of your parents. I know you're a small kid, and that's cool. But most of us are not small kids here, I'm not, and I have responsibilities that come with adulthood, like meeting payroll, and keeping my customers satisfied, and developing partnerships with other companies, and letting predatory companies know that I won't be rolled over. If I let them do it once, they won't stop. I've been through this before, and I learned the lesson too often. I'm a nice guy, but I can't let other people take advantage of that.

To you this is fun, to me this can be fun, but it's also business, and sometimes business is done in not-nice ways. The cool thing about the Internet is that we can meet, but that doesn't mean we speak the same language. We don't. It's been 32 years since I was your age. I might even be older than your parents. We're in different places.