Re: Confused about the working group.

Author:Dave Winer

It's like an elephant and 20 people looking at different parts of it. I'm still a total newbie at the W3C process. That's clearly what it is, a way to gain consensus among a lot of powerful businesses and public sector entities. To me it's like being invited to Davos, I get to read what everyone is saying, and occasionally get to say something myself. The magic to it, from my naive pov, is that there's a strong mind and will that makes the decisions, Tim Berners-Lee. The diversity of opinion and its intensity are a thing to behold. I probably will never pass judgement on it, just appreciate it for what it is. This is how you get 45 companies of all sizes and shapes to come to a table for the purpose of working together.

A few days ago I said that there might be a role for a peacemaker on the Internet. That's how I see the W3C, and TBL. The desire for peace and cooperative movement must come from the individual companies and the people representing them. A peacemaker just provides a venue and an interest only in the process, not in the interests of any of the participants.

After it's all said, the end result was a charter that is totally consistent with the work I've been doing in this area, dating back to the late 1980s. It didn't get perverted, no company is controlling it, Tim looked at all the comments, and found the common thread, and made his statement.

What else happens now? I'll let you know if I can..

"cheesecake"