Re: It's OPML

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:9/15/2000; 10:17:26 PM
Topic:Outline XML files need a name

Dave

Reading the spec for OPML I have some early comments/questions:

* Who is a potential client for OPML?

* I guess I don't see the difference between *any* Well Formed XML and XML formatted in OPML, since the body can contain basically anything. Seems like the main addition of OPML is the definition of viewer state (see below) and semantics for owner, modification date etc. Did I miss anything?

* Elements such as , , etc in the head all seem viewer-specific. What if the same XML is viewed by multiple outlines, do they all have to act in lock-step? Or is the intent mainly transportational, that is, when an outline state is dumped from one client and read into another, the idea is to display it exactly the same in the new client as in the original?

* What is the purpose of the isBreakPoint attribute? Is this intended to be respected by e.g UserTalk or Tcl or Python when they execute the OPML outline as a script?

Confused...

--Jacob