Re: An industry-wide compromise

Author:isaac
Posted:9/16/2000; 12:42:22 AM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

Firstly, I'm probably out of my league here, so if I'm getting something completely wrong, correct me. ;) (I'm not really a software developer, but a designer.)

What I wrote of was not necessarily a compromise, but an industry shared by software developers releasing their software in a number of forms. I apologise for choosing the wrong word.

If patents can be seen as protection for the originator, then look at two situations:

I think that with a guaranteed protection of concept, code, etc, companies would feel more secure in greater investments, when compared with the same company investing in a product that can be copied outright by competitors and users.

If there is something I'm overlooking, please clarify.

Argue is such a negative word. This is a discussion group. If you're in a better position (ie, as an actual software developer with more research of the industry under your belt), then I would appreciate hearing your perspective on the issues of patents, the various methods of developing and releasing software, etc.