Re: meta (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/18/2000; 9:42:13 AM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

Josh Allen: Don't worry about me, I don't easily feel slighted (and certainly not now) and I don't hold grudges.

That's good. Even if we don't hold grudges, folks here might not know that, and it can confuse future interpretation of our writings if it looked like someone might hold a grudge. (I know, that's convoluted.)

Josh Allen: Like you, I feel that getting even is a major waste of energy, and I really didn't mean to rile you up. I'm not sure where things broke down, but I am sure I could have been more sensitive about how my comments would sit with you.

Getting riled up was partly my fault, by mistaking your remarks directed to Todd Blanchard as if they were to me. I thought about this more, and I realized I actually work with a few rules of thumb I evolved over time to prevent some kinds of misunderstandings. I'm thinking about writing up some of the techniques briefly on a web page.

I'll post a link later if I do this today. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm offering unasked-for advice by discussing my approaches for avoiding misinterpretation in public forum writing. It might seem interesting to some folks.

Josh Allen: I still feel that your points of view are interesting and valuable, and hope you continue to share them.

This is very kind, and I'll keep offering my perspective. I'll try not to be sensitive to some kinds of responses. And after I write something up, it will be easier to see what kinds of things I might accidentally see the wrong way. (But it's kind of embarassing to pose as if I expect anyone to write according to my terms, so don't take it that way. :-)