Re: snowballs (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/20/2000; 11:11:49 AM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

If you care to illuminate what this says about me, or otherwise convince me that I've been unfair, I'll happily amend the remarks.

Well, the force will always exist, and nothing we have done to this point has been able to change it. I think you would have to change human nature to change the fact that power tends to flow in the direction of the more powerful. I also think that society can do things to stem the flow of this process, and has a moral obligation to do so. I think it is unfair for you to act as if you are somehow blessing me with the wisdom of your years, when I am the one who initially introduced this point in the thread. Give me some credit.

Think of it like a river -- people will say, "the river always flows toward the sea". That does not say there is nothing we can do about it, and it does not say that the people who build dams and hydroelectric plants are irrelevant. It says nothing at all about these things, and presuming I would attach such a value judgement to that is unfair.

The main point is that the flow exists, and we do things about the flow. I personally feel that the flow of power caused by IP is different enough from the flow of capital that the rules we have built up for dealing with capital flow will not be sufficient. You may think that there is nothing to worry about, and that is your right. However, I think it is an issue that needs to be taken seriously (and if you track the thread back, I seem to be the only person so far to have suggested any sort of constructive solutions to the changing nature of power flow). If you think it's not a new and important problem, then fine. If you think it is, then for God's sake, talk about the problem. And please stop leaning on your age for credibility.