Re: anti flame capsule

Author:Joshua Allen
Posted:9/20/2000; 10:57:37 PM
Topic:anti flame capsule

I agree. Doing your best to avoid offending someone is a pragmatic way to keep the conversation on track. (That's what you are saying, right?). When someone gets worked up despite your best efforts, it's usually an opportunity to learn yet another way to communicate without offending people. I also agree that the scenario I mentioned (feeling outraged to steer the conversation) is far less likely than the other one with which you responded (causing outrage to steer the conversation).

I still think the best conversations happen when the involved parties don't feel a need to be parsimonious with one another, and even more so when everyone is secure enough to not take offense at anything. But you drag me back to the reality that the world doesn't operate that way, and changing me is easier than changing them..