we are the audience

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/23/2000; 10:09:56 AM
Topic:we are the audience

(Later today I'll be driving down to Big Sur, so I won't be around as much as usual for discussion.)

Dave Winer: There's a philosophical face-off. People who view the Internet as stages with audiences (the TV model) and people who see it as something new that's not like TV. I'm in the latter group. So far the money has been betting on the former group. I'd like everyone who writes to have a website, and to have tools for finding the stuff they want to connect with.

I think there's an audience even under P2P rules, but the audience is just ourselves and the folks sharing a space. What's unusual and different from TV is that there's no designated performer with privileged stage rights. So P2P has a more folk storytelling style to it, where the line between performers and audiences is not at all a hard one.

Yeah, we need more tools to support this style of human interaction, with software that accelerates the mechanics and handles the mundane details involved. We need software that blurs the boundaries between authoring tasks and virtual presence tasks, so that authors can merge with their audience (the rest of us and other authors) without disrupting the creative experience.