Archives of the Syndication list

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/26/2000; 6:18:55 AM
Topic:Archives of the Syndication list

Just for kicks, last night I went back through the archives on the Syndication list, to see if I could find the place where the "RSS 1.0" people arrived at a consensus that their way to go forward was the right way. I couldn't find it. In fact, I couldn't find any discussion at all. There were some people who wanted namespaces, there seemed to be little interest in RDF.

But it has been claimed here and elsewhere that it was an open process and that I'm a sore loser, and a flamer, and nasty and all the rest of that. But there's a missing component to the other argument -- where was the vote? Somehow that vital step seems to have been skipped.

If you want to follow the trail, I'd say start in June, after the WWW9 meeting in Amsterdam, around the time that I commited the heinous unforgivable sin of documenting RSS 0.91, with the insidious copyright that gave everyone the right to copy my work.

http://www.egroups.com/messages/syndication/101

Interestingly, at the time, no one seemed to have a problem with my work. It only became a "problem" later when they needed an excuse for their behavior, which was closed, one-sided, unilateral, sneaky, unfair, and suppressive of other points of view.

I was able to find the place where Rael and the other members of the RSS 1.0 crowd stopped posting to the Syndication list. Presumably this was the point when they started working in private, off-list. No doubt on their private list, they had a consensus.