scriptingNews outline for 12/7/2000

Author:Dave Winer

Tim Berners-Lee's slideshow for the Semantic Web presentation at XML 2000 earlier this week. Unfortunately the slide on the killer app isn't there. Is that ironic?

I finally met Zeldman tonight, he doesn't look anything like his pictures. He says the same thing about me. He thought I had gray hair. (I don't, not yet.) I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Oh geez. Look what they're doing to Jakob Nielsen.

SF Gate: "Expect the year 2000's version of the P2P revolution to go down the same way the 'push' revolution did: a victim of its own hype."

Newsweek reporter Deborah Branscum has a started a weblog. The gloves are off. "Earth to execs: Your quotes are bullshit. You know it. We know it." Welcome!

BTW, Deborah hit the Flip Home Page user interface wall in Manila. We have a Howto that explains this, but it isn't getting in front of people at the right time. Gotta do some work here.

I went to a session on privacy by Simson Garfinkle. I wanted to hear him speak after admiring his writing for many years. He said something that rang a bell. People who use Yahoo feel like customers, but they're not customers. They're the product. The customers are the people who buy ads. He said this is a disconnect that's going to cause a lot of problems in the future. I agree. Also there's a general sense here that the party is over, now we have to run businesses and decide who our customers are and what our products are.

BusinessWeek: Will Google's Purity Pay Off? "Brin says Google makes about a penny per search in revenue. 'We do more than 20 million searches a day, so it works out to $80 million dollars a year,' he claims."

The conference is well-attended. The opening session with Jeremy Allaire was packed. Tomorrow I speak to both conferences simultaneously, Builder.Com and eDevCon, about SOAP and XML-RPC.