scriptingNews outline for 12/30/2000

Author:Dave Winer

The afternoon blues Permanent link to 'The afternoon blues' in archives.

For some reason I have the blues this afternoon. No special reason, just body chemistry I imagine. Maybe it's an end of the year thing. Or perhaps it's the horrendous electric bill. (I went out to get a new space heater, no more $950 monthly gas and electric bills.)

Anyway you can cheer me up by pressing the Hi Dave button.

(It's the only choice. Heh heh.)

Hey I just got an email from Eric Kidd saying that his open source XML-RPC-in-C stuff is starting to work. Yahoo!

Sheila Simmons wrote a Frontier macro. Holy guacamole!

Joel took pics of the snow in NY. Now I know why I'm bummed. I'm not there! Snow is so cool.

Joel has a picture of a Library Lion covered in snow. Hey we're using the lion in one of our new sites. How did he know??

(Do they save these things for when I get the blues? What's coming next??)

Another good tool for the blues is music, and vice versa.

Here's what I'm listening to this evening.

Another tool is my Things of Beauty channel. When I spot a news item that inspires me I route it to this channel. I knew it would come in handy!

More than an actor Permanent link to 'More than an actor' in archives.

Jason Robards, the actor who played Washington Post editor-in-chief Ben Bradlee in All the President's Men, died this week.

"Thanks for everything you did for our country," random people would say to him in airports and supermarkets. Rather than respond "I'm just an actor," he accepted the praise. "Thanks," he would say. Keep it simple.

According to some Permanent link to 'According to some' in archives.

Tomorrow is the official last day of the millenium. But then who cares. Why did we make such a big deal about it last year at this time? Glad the computers didn't screw up. Who would have guessed that the Y2K meltdown would come in the US political system? Glad that's over too.

Positive note: Now I know how to spell millenium.

New macro Permanent link to 'New macro' in archives.

New Manila macro: includeHttp, adds the text returned by an HTTP request to a Manila-generated Web page.

This could be quite interesting. I've long asked the browser vendors to add an "include" tag that would do a new HTTP request and insert the result in the page. This would allow people to modularize Web pages perhaps in interesting ways.

I know about JavaScript-based includes, but they're slow and complex and are cached in weird ways. Then I realized we could do it in Manila, and while I was doing macros yesterday I got this going. It may be revolutionary or it might mean nothing. Perhaps we'll find out.

Automatic movement Permanent link to 'Automatic movement' in archives.

We released tweaks and fixes to upstreaming this morning. In some cases it wouldn't detect file deletions. A semaphore allows coordination between threads upstreaming concurrently. The upstreaming thread no longer drifts in time.

BTW, upstreaming is "the automatic movement of content from a workstation to a non-changing location that's publicly accessible."

Sticker shock Permanent link to 'Sticker shock' in archives.

While the power was out yesterday I paid my bills. I was shocked by a $950 gas/electric bill for one month. I had become numb to the hugely high cost of living in the Bay Area, but this is a whole new level. I had been following the news of course, of the travails of PG&E and Governor Davis and deregulation. How will this be resolved? The utility companies want to raise rates above this level. What will this do to California's economy? Hey (thinking selfishly) what will it do to my economy??