scriptingNews outline for 2/10/2001

Author:Dave Winer

All music all the time. Doc Searls had router failure just as he was flippin his home page. Oy. Now he wants to flip somethin else at his ISP for keeping him on hold for 40 minutes listening to the same insipid marketing "message" over and over. Doc is the wrong guy to do that to.

The hits just keep on comin. Paul Andrews, when applying for press credentials at the P2P conf told the truth and listed his weblog as his publication. He wanted to attend the session on journalism in the P2P Web. ("The P stands for People!") Paul has good credentials, clearly. But they turned him down. He says: "O the irony of it all!"

Dan Gillmor: "Still no answer from Amazon, despite another query from me on the patent thing. I guess we both know what that means." Now a word from our sponsor.

Congrats to Mike Donnelan on the new baby!

A note I posted on the Syndication list re RSS 0.92. "An HTML background is all that's needed to master RSS."

The cleanup work in Radio continues. Here are the docs for the cloud that Radio users share; a work in progress. It's pretty technical but if you're interested in P2P, this is a real-world system.

Oy I'm back to reading the NY Times through their home page. I liked my interface better. I heard that Screaming Media has a deal with them, that's the next stop on my industry schmooze. I won't give up!

I had a long talk yesterday with Paul Andrews, former veteran Seattle Times reporter, and now a free agent. We talked about the history of journalism, and where it's going after the dotcom boom. You never get to talk about history with a working reporter, there's no time, too busy covering the latest pie fight. Paul is the latest journalist to start a weblog. Dan Gillmor was the first. Then Doc Searls, Deborah Branscum and Glenn Fleishman. We may be getting to an interesting new critical mass. I'm on a panel at the O'Reilly conf on Thurs in SF with Gillmor and Katie Hafner who writes for the NY Times and the SlashDot guys, to talk about journalism on the Web. It should be very interesting. Lots of bright eyes in the journalism world. I think it's their turn.

We're trying an interesting experiment at UserLand this week. Since I'm going to be busy schmoozing and arm-twisting I'm turning over the Radio development lead to Brent. I work for him on this project. I have worked for others in the past, and sometimes it works really well. I did a game project for Bernie DeKoven in the early 80s on the Apple II when I was broke and needed the work. We had a blast. It was very relaxing to just do programming and let someone else do the design. Now I work for Brent. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather work for.

(Of course Brent still works for me, but we've been doing this long enough that I think we can keep it straight.)

"Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine, I'm on the pavement thinking about the government."