scriptingNews outline for 3/22/2001

Author:Dave Winer

Good morning Mac OS X fans!

Doc says that blogs are authority routers. Recursive!

He also reminded me how much I like The US Blues. "Wave that flag, wave it wide and high." Still diggin!

Soapbox: You are a byproduct of advertising.

Jason Levine: "Some were elated, and others horrified, but starting in a few months, they'll all walk into hospitals across the country as the newest class of doctors."

Brent Ashley: "I've been assimilated and I didn't even know it."

Jake started a journal, documenting public discussion about interop in SOAP 1.1. Hey if you're a SOAP developer you can have a SoapWare.Org site just like Jake.

Leander Kahney reviews Mac OS X.

Be sure to check out last night's top story, The XML Files. It's important.

MyCereal.Com: "Where cereals don't exist until you create them."

Deborah Branscum: "The white paper is impenetrable."

Checking out stocks, Vignette is worth $1.5 billion, Interwoven is $1.3 billion, but Allaire is only $185 million, Marimba $81 million. I see no rhyme or reason here.

Scott McNealy: "People are feeling really wounded because they bought stocks at 100 times revenues, and they can't understand why their life's savings is gone.''

Glenn Fleishman: "Ralph, you've played the 'Nazi' card. That's the Internet tenet promulgated by Mike Goodwin, I think, that every debate on the Internet escalates until one party calls the other a Nazi, beyond which no civil discourse is possible."

TrainedMonkey has lots of synthetic RSS feeds.

There are now 41 SOAP 1.1 implementations.

Brent Ashley rambles on HailStorm.

InfoWorld: Visual Basic.Net makes demands on businesses.

Logic Error: "Do you have a webpage that you'd like to see provided in RSS, a syndication format used by hundreds of programs and read by thousands of people? Now it can happen."

Graham Glass: "When my company decided to create a high performance SOAP engine, we started by examining the existing XML parsers to see which would best suit our needs. To our surprise, we found that the commercially available XML parsers were too slow to allow SOAP to perform as a practical replacement for technologies like CORBA and RMI."

Eric Soroos: "Don't advertise Henry Weinhart's 12 packs for $6.99 on signs that can be reached by high school students."

Scoble continues to update the HailStorm directory.

Timothy Wilken: "If you approach Radio the way you did your first Word Processor, your first Graphics program, your first Spread Sheet Program, you will be greatly rewarded." Thanks!

News.Com: With HailStorm, think fee not free.

Read the tea-leaves. Gore at KPCB? A natural fit.

This is the kind of story that makes developers think "Hmm maybe I shouldn't create a product for this platform." It's probably not realistic, which is why we're still interested.

Dan Lyke proposes a low-tech response to HailStorm.

Walt Mossberg of the WSJ recommends that non-geeks wait before upgrading.

Edd Dumbill interviews Tim Berners-Lee on the Semantic Web.

On Hack-The-Planet: "Developers are rarely satisfied with their platform vendors.."