scriptingNews outline for 3/21/2001

Author:Dave Winer

A year ago I said every content management system should export websites in XML so users have choice and can back up their data, and flow it out in other formats. Today we're ready to turn that corner. Manila is the first content management system to flow all your data out through XML.

Part of The Two-Way Web: The XML Files for Manila.

Good morning XML fans! Permanent link to 'Good morning XML fans!' in archives.

Heads up: ManilaSites.Com will be offline tonight at 10 PM Pacific tonight for maintenance for about one hour.

Here's an XML.Com article on representing whole websites in XML. Edd Dumbill started a thread on Web app storage on his weblog on O'Reilly last April.

Via Evhead. A mockup of a news page done Amazon style, and a whitepaper. Very nice!

The Standard: "The real challenge for Microsoft isn't surmounting privacy concerns, it's rallying the developer community to build applications that will make the .Net platform worthwhile."

Steve Gillmor interviews Mark Lucovsky, the chief architect of HailStorm. BigCo.

Deborah Branscum: "Then Dave Winer rode to the rescue of the CEO panel by attempting to explain, in his usual blunt, tactless and altogether charming (to those of us not bearing the brunt of it) way, that it was ridiculous to court reporters or the press and he'd done that a long time ago and wasn't about to do it now and that everyone should stop that nonsense too."

Wes Felter sent a pointer to a Google search which lead me to this page in the Scripting News archives, one of my favorite days. "Geez Louise! THE METS WON!!! National League Champs, Y2K. Philosophy rules! 7-0. Great pitching. Almost a brawl. More philosophy. Bring on the Mariners! You gotta believe." Those were the days..

John Robb: "Back in 96/97 I helped Firefly, Netscape, and Microsoft get together on the P3P proposal. Basically the proposal was a set of standards surrounding the collection and utilization of end user data. Unfortunately, the standard, as it now stands, looks like a deader."

Marty Heyman warns: "Radio is an Insidious Plot for global domination by Userland Software!"

Motley Fool: "The Bermuda Triangle, alien cattle mutilation, the lost city of Atlantis, and Microsoft's .NET platform are mysteries that have left the world dumbfounded."

WSJ article on the politics of privacy.

Talked with Scoble last night who in his day job is a conference manager at Fawcette. I asked why he thought the P2P conference scene is fading so quickly. Why was the O'Reilly conf in Feb such a success when the others are not even getting 50 attendees and the rest are being cancelled. Scoble said it was because O'Reilly got a lift from the weblogs and the others didn't.

That story reminded me of this article that Gillmor pointed to, about Hollywood wanting to recreate the Blair Witch phenomenon on the Web, by hiring designers to scatter amateurish "fan sites" around the web so it would appear that there was a Web community developing for a movie. I think we're just beginning a process where the Web creeps into everything cultural we do, the good and the bad (and the simulated).

I wish my ambivalently secretive friends at KnowNow would start a weblog to get their philosophy out on the Web. They have two excellent bloggers at the company, MegNut and Matt Haughey. The KnowNow founders, Rohit and Adam, are two very cool Web characters. At some point they're going to tell us what they want to do. We'll find it more interesting if we KnowHow KnowNow got there. ";->"

So I'm curious to see how tight-knit the Blogger-XML-scripting scene is. Here's a survey. It's a little tricky. Not sure if it'll reveal anything interesting. It's worth a try.

Wired: Hailstorm or Firestorm? "Microsoft insists it can be open, by using XML in developing Dot-Net services, and it can protect user privacy through Passport. However, one open source developer and author doesn't agree. 'Snaring everyone in some sticky spider's web or tar baby may be a seductive business strategy, but it's going to be a disaster when security holes appear, as they always do,' said Peter Wayner, author of the book Free For All." Excellent point.

On the Decentralization list, Ray Ozzie explains the technology in Groove.

I had a great time yesterday at the Buzz conference in SF. I met Glenn Fleishman for the first time, talked with Paul Andrews, Jakob Nielsen, and was on a great panel lead by Deborah Branscum. Dan Gillmor was there earlier in the day. Most of the conferences I go to are almost all male. It was nice to see so much feminine energy. Deborah and I have quite an act, like the old Jane Curtin and Dan Ackroyd ignorant slut routine in the early days of Saturday Night Live. It's just an act, for me at least, I've known her for many years, and have great affection for her. Great style, her stubborn cynicism makes a great foil for my ridiculously naive idealism.

After reviewing Jake's "folder of XML files" project, I want to make some tweaks, so we'll hold it until later today. The project is complete, it appears, but I want to make a few changes to the XML so it will be more easily parsed by other scripting tools.