Pull

Author:Sten Linnarsson
Posted:10/12/1998; 2:24:10 PM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

Idea: It would be GREAT if Frontier, running locally, could act as a filter for existing web sites. E.g. I could request http://localhost/www.cnn.com/ and Frontier would download http://www.cnn.com, apply a user-specified filter and deliver the result to my browser. I have two situations where this would be useful.

Active Desktop: For example, I'd like to have the nice Excite weather graphics, customized to show my home town (Stockholm, Sweden), on my desktop and regularly updated. Frontier could filter out the ad, the navigation bar etc and make the background black to fit my desktop. Cool, no?

AvantGo: I'd like to synch with many sites that don't work well on the Pilot. Frontier could extract the meaty part from the ads and the rest, as above.

People could even write plug-in filters and distribute them on the web for less Frontier-savvy people to use. Sort of like personal web-agents.

/Sten

PS. The buzzword would be "Pull".