Re: Re: Apple vs Microsoft re Quicktime

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/11/1998; 2:07:39 PM
Topic:First message

I want data, not political speeches.

What was the issue? For once, let's not rely on our beliefs, let's get the facts.

Here's what I understand. The issue is the Quicktime plug-in for Windows. It works in Netscape's browser, but not in MSIE.

Did Apple test the plug-in in MSIE? If so, and it failed to work, did they raise the issue with Microsoft? Then did they raise it on the net, in mail lists or on Usenet?

How come the first time we hear about this problem is in court? Has anyone else had trouble making a plug-in work in MSIE? Did Apple consider using ActiveX?

What's amazing about this situation is that there was no communication by Apple to the cross-platform technical community before it went to the lawyers and judges and business press.

I just want to know, for once, who's bullshitting here.

Dave