Re: Re: Apple vs Microsoft re Quicktime

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/11/1998; 3:52:48 PM
Topic:First message

Thanks Tod, this is a very interesting message with lots of interesting details. It would be great to hear from someone who has written a Windows browser plug-in, and keeps it maintained.

Also, it would be interesting to know the timeframe, according to Tevanian's testimony. Was this going on in 1997? If so, were other companies writing plug-ins or ActiveX controls? I admit I've not been keeping track. I remember plug-ins being very popular for a while, but these days, as a user, I've not seen very many of them.

Also, when its shoe is on the other foot, as a platform vendor, Apple has often given itself precedence over developers. I think that's all easy to discover. I don't think we want to open that up. If the conclusion is that Microsoft gave it's own software precedence, then it was time for Apple to work around that with whatever means were available to them. As a developer, I can tell you, there are lots of those kinds of workarounds in all commercial software, Mac software too. So, Apple, welcome to the club. Learn how it works, and do better when you're playing the role of platform vendor.

Dave