Re: Brent's Screenshot-Scripting Windows

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:12/21/1998; 11:37:21 AM
Topic:Brent's Screenshot-Scripting Windows

How would the Script Control running in Frontier allow you to emulate and/or run ASP pages in the Frontier web server environment? Oh baby would I love that!

FWIW, I agree with Alan's original message, with the exception of thinking Microsoft should/would help UserLand achieve the same object model integration as they did with the Mac. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing Apple didn't bend over backwards to help UserLand get OSA into Frontier, so I don't see Microsoft doing it either -- after all, they have to sell Visual InterDev and Site Server and NT/IIS/Transaction Server. :-)

Deep OSA roots were the reason Frontier's CMS features got me passionate when I first found it (v4.1 BTW). When I first started using Frontier, I didn't know AppleScript. If I would have had to learn UserTalk and AppleScript at the same time, to tie Frontier to the apps I needed to tie to, I probably wouldn't have done it, because the job I had to get done wouldn't have gotten done on time if I had to spend the time learning so much! Thankfully many people came before me and created create UserTalk glue to get me started quickly. I'm sure we'll start seeing lots of glue for scriptable Windows apps once this functionality is available! (mmmmm... glue)

Once there is serious burn in of the new COM client functionality, Frontier users will be able to properly assess whether it is suitable for their integration needs, or whether heftier support is needed. I'm sure, as always, that there will be many people willing to speak up if the latter is the case. ;-)

I applaud UserLand for getting Frontier this far -- as is, it opens up many new exciting possibilities!