Re: Don't bash my country

Author:Ken Wiley
Posted:12/22/1998; 12:19:12 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

It's funny sitting up north here (by the way in Edmonton where I am its -20C; and this is a warming trend) watching what is going on to the south. I don't know if you realize how involved we are in your culture, if not your country. We receive all of your media, including TV, Magazines, Newspapers. All of our national news routinely covers the US news as a matter of course. Any shift in the winds of openness that has been blowing through your political system benefits Canada, since you are our largest trading partner.

It seems to me that a point of view the is not coloured by Democrat/Republican rhetoric might be useful.

The biggest difference between the way our system and your's runs is that our parties are much more important than an individual. We don't vote for a President; we vote for the representative of the party, and the leader of the winning party becomes the Prime Minister. That is not to say that there isn't dominant personalities; Lucien Bouchard, the Premier of Quebec (who is trying to break up our country) inspires by the force of his personality. Its just that it is harder for an individual to hold the kind of sway that many of your politicians have.

The greatest strength that your country seems to have is that the economic system seems to be separated from the machinations of your government. All of us in the world are glad of that...