Re: People With Minds

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:12/22/1998; 6:22:51 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Two points.

1. that's your take on the quality of the post, not necessarily those of others. That's good. I happened to like his observations, even though I disagree with his conclusion.

If you voted this

Relevance=1 (low),

Originality=1 (low),

Thoughtfulness=1 (low),

Agreement=1 (strongly disagree)

then it would still be available for the curious, but could be filtered out or bypassed by the expeditious. If my cruise controls are set right, then I would never see it and my view of the threads would be closer to the moderator's.

I should be able to filter other ways, though. Maybe if this was a debate about DCOM vs. IIOP and the moderator showed bias for DCOM, I may want to focus on contrarian views and filter for folks you rate low. This is even more valuable than just your opinion; it your opinion in my context, something only possible in the web.

2. Do you think registering and requiring a few fields to be completed deters the casual drop in, increasing the stake of contributors. You could also require reading of a style guide before being able to post so at least everyone would know this place's ethos, focus, rules of the road, examples of posts excellent, poor, and deletable. WELL members might chime in on this, but I think losing anonymity increases boosts the quality of most discourse.

We've had some good posts by email, but i really don't know anything about those folks and one of the ways I judge a post is by the sender. I mean if TQ's post was from a U.S. Representative I'd judge it differently.

It has been a long day.

Stay warm. - Phil