Re: When will we reach Nirvana?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/25/1999; 7:33:14 AM
Topic:When will we reach Nirvana?

"When will we reach Nirvana?"

We're releasing it right now. The latest series of root updates, the macros, renderers, new features in betty.rpc.client, are the simplest parts of the Frontier 6 release.

The next pieces are going to be:

  1. system.startup.startupScript

  2. builtins.log

  3. builtins.scheduler

All are backward-compatible, we have tested and poked to make sure these will go in with no problems. I think these three things will be ready to go early next week. There's been a delay because Brent is supervising the installation of a new T1 line in Seattle, and we never knew for sure when they were going to show up. But the line is in now, and the hardware is arriving on Friday, and we'll be really busy over the weekend, so it's looking like next week.

After that, we'll let you download the Frontier 6 kernel, there really aren't many changes in the kernel post 5.1.6, only one new feature, but it's a major one, wrapping headlines. This changes the way Frontier can be used as a writing tool. No more tradeoffs between wptext and outlines. You can write in the outliner now. This will give us a lot of new applications as a writing environment.

Finally, we'll point you to a .sit or .zip file that contains a single folder called Guest Databases. In that folder will be three folders, www, ops and apps. In apps there will be a file called mainResponder.root. You'll run a simple install script and after doing that, you'll have Frontier 6.

I think we're looking at about two weeks total to do it. Then comes 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 where we deepen the structure and fix design flaws and finish the docs.

Now you can see where your choices come. You probably want the 6.0 app asap. No reason not to get it. We're working on a new Frontier site that's much better organized, connects everything together, all the important links on the home page. If I were you, I'd watch that site (I'll point you to it when it's ready) and follow my gut, and balance it against your schedule.