Co-Evolutionary Objects

Author:joubin
Posted:2/26/1999; 11:48:58 PM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

Bernie,

This is an interesting problem, and I believe what you are after is a subset of a more general problem: co-evolutionary objects.

I gave it some thought and have sketched a preliminary design for CoEvolutinary objects.

Click on the diagrams to walk through the idea. The underlying software system is not presented, though I believe it to be apparent. But if it is not clear, let me know and I'll flesh it out.

Generally speaking, I don't see any reason why you should not be able to implement this over Frontier, but any networked ODB will do. But I think frontier is well positioned to support this application in many aspects.

Specifically in regards to Frontier 6's DG, I believe that this software (DG) is inadequate to the task, as a discussion group, by definition, is an object tree editor, where as I believe the solution to what you are after is a specialized Graph editor.

[If you are not up on your geekspeak, take a look at the top of this page: See where it says 'Msg#: 3284 (in response to 3280)'? Any message can have many responses, but each response can ONLY be to one message. That's a tree. In a graph however, any response can be retraced back to many previous messages to reflect the merging (i.e. synthesis) of co-evolving threads.]