Re: Co-Evolutionary Objects

Author:joubin
Posted:2/27/1999; 10:00:28 AM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

Images are now linked properly. I don't think murphy is the guilty party here -- I should just stop writing at 3 am. But then again, i am not superstitious.

Dave, regarding your 3 'points':

I was not "dis"sing your software. DG is inadequate for the "task", which is NOT a discussion group. You shouldn't try and misconstrue my postings as 'dissing'. And, the message was not to you (unless your middle name is Bernie), so relax: I am sure you know your graphs. (I didn't know that you were a math major though -- thanks for sharing that.)

Regarding graphs:

Lets say I accept your statement that graphs are hard for people to do in their head. How is that relevant? When you are driving from point A to point B, you are traversing a graph, and (almost) everyone seems capable of that, and it certainly doesn't require 'visualizing' the graph in their minds. (Neither does it require a math major.)

So the appropriately designed interface (i.e. named streets, connecting roads, highways, exit signs, etc.) and documentation (maps) facilitates the task. which is getting from one point to another.

Analogously, when you are involved in a collaboration on an object, what you are interested is an awareness of the current state of the various derived objects, having the ability to contact their respective authors, and being able to merge two distinct derived lines into a single object upon consensus.

Again, no math major is required.

The difficulties you point out only arise if you try and squeeze this functionality into an interface designed for fully displaying hierarchies. Then it would (probably) get messy, and with that I do agree. But I guess that was my point.

Re. (2):

I am distinctly unmotivated by declared "challanges" -- I follow my heart (and muse) and she is currently more interested in "plumbing". However, here is a hint for you: To get to an html based CoE editor from DG, simply have DG server redraw the hierarchy to reflect local consensual weaves. (And that would do it.)

Hoka hey.