Re: Co-Evolutionary Objects

Author:Marc Canter
Posted:2/27/1999; 11:37:08 AM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

What we're discussing here is viewpoints on data.

Different data has different forms of appropriate viewpoints. Alan Kay used to say that for every new viewpoint, you increased your IQ by 10 points (it probably wasn't from Alan though - he stole it from somebody else...)

Anyway - DG's are good for timely repsonses, but as we're seeing here - they're also about as real-time as good ideas need. Ideas are not always about real-time interaction.

As Bernie pointed out - having the buffer time to think, really helps. But Graphs are a great interface for other types of data - and I myself almost ALWAYS structure my ideas into some form of visualization.

Perhpas it's because I was taught to 'whiteboard' when I dream. To use instantaneous drawing as a form of thinking. To literally MAP OUT ideas as either:

- graphcs charts, ven diagrams, etc. - the things you were talking about

- flowcharts, freeform scribbling

- comparison tables, lists, tabular formatted info

- or just endless to do lists, words floating anywher and everywhere.

I want to put down my mouse and type - it should be everything a drawing program is, but hav ethe strcutrue to tap into what Frontier can provide - and if it ain't written, we'll just 'extend it'