Re: FAQ: Do you love Microsoft?

Author:Marc Canter
Posted:2/27/1999; 11:28:03 AM
Topic:Mail to the Future Server Functionality

Wow! Cool!

We've just increased out testing budget four fold.

No all kidding aside, I would just die if this stuff worked on something else besides IE5 on Windows.

Remember I'm the guy who first did a cross-platform multimedia playback engine - ever. They call it Shockwave nowadays. We called it the VideoWorks player in 1985. It's shipped with every Mac since 1986.

I can remember the last time I talked to Gates - which was at some conference party (probably over 5 years ago by now....)

He was poking at his glasses, as they slipped down his nose (you have to have that visual in your mind...)and we're talking about how Director had become an accepted standard for CD ROMs, and how he had a chance to buy us in 1984, 9 years prior, blah blah blah.

And he then says "Well - I just don't understand why anybody would want to worry about cross-platform? They should just use Widnows."

A year later he's scrambling to support HTML and build a browser.