unix shell and xml-rpc

Author:David Detlefsen
Posted:3/9/1999; 7:00:17 PM
Topic:unix shell and xml-rpc

This may be is a silly question/request, but it seems like it would be useful if you could make xml-rpc calls from a unix shell (c shell for example). I know you can do it with other tools available on unix (java, perl, etc) but shell programming is pretty simple, powerful and ubiquitous.

I'm interested in this since I work in a group of scientists who use things like nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers, mass spectrometers, etc that are often controlled by unix boxes. Much of what we do is automated (including if we have our way, the interpretation of the data). We generate more data than we can look at and we need a way to capture this data in a common database. We can easily make calls to the shell from the acquisition software and if we could pass data from the acquisition programs (usually not a problem) to frontier via xml-rpc, then we could use it as a central holding tank for data. Heck, we could even put some smarts in frontier to have it tell the instruments what to do!

Anyway, back to my question. Does anyone know how to make xml-rpc calls from the c shell in unix?