Re: unix shell and xml-rpc

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:3/9/1999; 7:59:03 PM
Topic:unix shell and xml-rpc

In general, on a unix box, perl is your friend. Come to think of it, perl is your friend. Well, that and frontier. Perl is a glue language, it bridges gaps and ties systems together. In general purpose, it's really a lot like frontier.

What I'd do is have a perl script as an executable file (chmod a+x file) that took a data file as an argument (or anything really)

Basically the workflow would be

spectrometer -> data file

spectrometer calls 'perlscript "datafile"' as it's shell command

Then your perl script would massage the data and use the xml-rpc module that I think exists to call frontier and have frontier deal with the data.

Use a minimal httpd implementation to pass any recieved call to a perl script for translation tell the spectrometer to do what needs to be done.

eric