Re: Junk in URLs and link-rot

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/9/1999; 7:28:55 PM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

Thank you very much for the food for thought.

I was thinking of a different approach that would be less ambitious but also interesting. Take the accrued content of your weblog, mine, Lawrence Lee's and run it thru a search engine once a day. The search engine would index the weblogs and all the articles that are linked to. Add a few more weblogs and a few news sites (MSNBC, CNN, NY Times, a few nerdy ones, InfoWorld, News.com) and the SE gets more interesting. It would be like the JIT-SEs that no one is using (if they only knew!) but with editorial input filters that are human.

Also Chuck Shotton is working on a "snarfing" system that sounds like just what you describe. I'm sure he'll chime in with his comments.

I think it's high time we brainstormed a new interface for the web. I've heard some really insane schemes from some of the portals. At least they're looking at alternatives for entertainment for their readers, but they still want control.

BTW, do you know who coined the term "weblog"? I was working on some docs this morning, and I realized I have no idea where this term came from, it appears to have popped up out of thin air one day.