Re: Run Linux and Windows at the same time

Author:Dino Morelli
Posted:5/4/1999; 11:25:13 AM
Topic:Run Linux and Windows at the same time

I'm not sure what you mean by "It's a partial emulator...", but I believe VMware is emulating the hardware so that actual copies of OSs can run on it. And they run concurrently and can even access a clipboard space shared across booted OSs.

For instance, to run Win32 programs under VMware, you actually must install the real Win95, 98 or NT to do so. From the real Microsoft CD.

I just wanted to make that clear to everyone. There's a lot of talk about emulating/not-emulating when this type of thing comes up (cough, Wine, cough).

I've been very interested in this VMware project, but my business on computers is largely related to the gaming industry at the moment.

Games pretty much require that your system run Microsoft's DirectX technology these days. DirectX basically enjoys direct access to the hardware (notably video hardware) and that's how it performs decently under the weight of the Win32 gui's. This direct access to hardware has been problematic for VMware so far, as they have to provide direct access to virtual hardware.