Dave Polaschek's Problem

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/26/1999; 9:57:10 AM
Topic:Dave Polaschek's Problem

I just got this email from davep@best.com. For obvious reasons he couldn't post this on the DG himself. If anyone can help him please get in touch. I'm interested in knowing if there are bugs in our server, but can't work on this right now. Dave's a good guy and we want him back on the DG.

"I recently upgraded my system, and as such, lost all my cookies in my browser (the old system folder was messed up enough that I just trashed it and have been recreating all my preferences by hand. Ugh!)

"Anyway, even when I log in with the new cookie, it's not recognized by either discuss.userland.com or prefs.userland.com. It's almost as if the cookie isn't set.

"I've got my cookies set to the most permissive setting possible in Netscape 4.5 Mac, so that's not the problem, but I still can't seem to actually log in.

"One thing that I've seen on another account was that they had a "clear all cookies" page that wiped out all the cookies that any page or server within their site might have set (and it may have done something special on their end, too). After running that, all was well with their server. Maybe it's the kind of thing you'd want to implement at Userland.

"If there's something else I should try to get the various servers to recognize the cookie so I can successfully log in again, I'd love to know about it. If you need help debugging the problem, I'd be happy to help there, too. I can snoop the packets my browser and your server are exchanging if it comes to that.

"Thanks in advance for any help you can offer."