Is it a Free Speech issue?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/12/1999; 11:53:37 AM
Topic:Letter to Infoworld

I wonder if the First Amendment comes into this.

The US Constitution doesn't protect the right to keep your links private, but it does say strongly that free speech is protected.

From the Bill of Rights, the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Seems pretty clear to me. Free speech, freedom of the press, right to assemble. That's the web. I think the forefathers understood the web better than today's journalists do!