Trademarks and Licenses

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:8/12/1999; 1:22:43 PM
Topic:Letter to Infoworld

Dave, note the part about Congress. The first amendment is tricky, because (AFAIK), it only applies to the government. Individuals and companies can restrict your speech as much as they want! (Of course, they have to sue you to do it...)

The names of most companies and Web sites are trademarks. Theoretically, they might be able to prevent people from linking that way. However, I am not a lawyer, so this interpretation is naive at best.

I noticed a few months ago that AT&T's DjVu license (section 3.3) includes permission to link to their Web site for specific reasons. I emailed them and said that I didn't need their permission to link to their Web site.

In the new age of UCITA, I'm fearing licenses that deny permission to link to Web sites. It seems everything has a license on it these days.