Re: Collab filtering at my.userland.com?

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:11/7/1999; 11:29:42 PM
Topic:Collab filtering at my.userland.com?

Eugene Pervago wrote:

Are there any simpler implementations?. Meaning, I have content units (in case of MyWebNews.com - modules) and users who express opinion about these content units - I want to show users the content they might like.

If you can automatically correlate people's viewing habits (which modules they read) to either people's offered opinions or, better still, aggregated viewing habits (people who read X also read Y >25% of the time), then the implementation is trivial. The tricky part is figuring out what a good cut-off level is (do you only mention correlations that occur >50% of the time? 25%?)

If you already have categories and user-tracking ("user 3973 read modules 10, 17, 3, 9, and 42") then you already have everything you need to tell user 10294, after noting that they read module 3, that they might also wish to read modules 10, 17, 9, and 42.