Re: Microsoft to Lease Office

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/10/1999; 7:37:49 AM
Topic:Microsoft to Lease Office

It's training wheels at best. And an open door to software that takes better advantage of the local hard drive and CPU. I have some ideas here, and some software.

More about this here: "Edit this Page".

Now while this revolution is happening we'll ask you to throw out your old word processor (Sorry!) just like you threw out HyperCard and Visual Basic and Director when the web came along. Why? Because its File menu is wrong. "Such a simple thing," you might say, "Why do I have to throw out my word processor?" Because it doesn't work on the web, I say. Writing for the web is different from writing for your printer. Your File menu thinks your world revolves around printing. There's the disconnect.

It's funny to see Microsoft go in this direction. It's against their strength. May be a big mistake.

Dave (Who was wrong about Desktop Publishing)