Re: Apple as cultural leader of the Internet

Author:Oliver Breidenbach
Posted:1/9/2000; 7:11:34 AM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

Dave says:

I'm making an issue of this so our Mac users understand that this will inevitably mean Windows-only features in Frontier and in Manila.

Hmmm. I can´t quite see the connection to Apple offering web services. And as a paying customer of Userland Frontier, I don´t like this notion at all.

Are you saying that in order to counteract Steve Jobs trying to take control you will hand control over to Bill Gates instead?

Or do you simply mean that (sadly) Mac based browsers seem to fall behind in adopting W3C standards? What could Apple do to prevent that, short of developing a browser themselves? Is helping MS to do Explorer 5 for Mac and AOL/Netscape do their Mozilla thing not enough?

Why would you want to move Manila to Windows-Only? Next year, there are going to be millions new surfers that DREAM of Manila. (Ever heard of Sony Playstation 2? I don´t think they run MS Frontpage and Windows is also not there. A good market for Manila Sites!).

I hope you reconsider. It would help to understand what your issues are if you could state a little bit more detailed what you want to do that can not be done on a Mac.

Cheers,

Oliver.