Sneakers & Websites

Author:--
Posted:1/14/2000; 7:38:46 PM
Topic:Sneakers & Websites

Are all sneaker websites horribly complex? Let's start with Nike and New Balance. Sneakers are pretty simple.

First of all, I don't find their sites too complex. At least, I still didn't get lost. There are sites that I have seen that are very visuallly attractive, but I can barely navigate. So, Nike and New Balance are not too bad.

Now, when you ask why they are "complex", did you think about why Nike can sell more sneakers than other less-known brand, yet with a higher price tag? Is it because their sneakers are just so great that people are willing to pay more to get it? Honestly, I don't have an answer. because my foot's shape and my walking style, any shoe that I wear on cannot last for more than 4 months, so I really don't care. But I think people who bought a pair of Nike sneakers instead of a no name brand sneakers must somehow be influenced by their advertisements. Now, why does Nike spend so much money in their ad campaign? Why don't they just put up an ad with a largely "white" page with a big Nike's logo on it, and include a few tag lines saying how great Nike's sneaker is?

My thinking is, advertisement or promotional website are just a way to build their brand image. When you are building a site which purpose is to create an image, the "visual" factor will be more important than other factor. To me, their websites are much more visually attractive any website made by userland. I am sorry to say that, but to me, this is how I feel. And, I am afraid that I wouldn't be the only person who feels this way.