Re: Free BeOS

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/18/2000; 12:58:48 PM
Topic:Free BeOS

I hope that makes some sense; my brain is feeling a little scrambled right now.

My brain feels the same way, explaining the message I left last night for Dori re Bill Gates.

I think finding a hilltop for Be must be the top priority. Getting hardware OEMs to pre-install the OS seems like a total uphill struggle against a well-defended cathedral and a loosey-goosey bazaar.

Remember that Be did a successful IPO, and their stock has gone up significantly since then, so they have the option of playing a longer term strategy now. Building around the Internet is the only way to go. I think a flashy user interface backed up by a lean server is a good idea for Old Be.

I just left a voicemail for Benoit Schillings. I'm going to try to get down there in the next few days with my new digital camera and get the scoop first-hand.

Postscript: Be stock is way way down today. -26 percent.

http://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=beos&d=b