ie's non-support of white-space [a solution]

Author:Thomas A. Creedon
Posted:2/8/2000; 4:14:55 PM
Topic:ie doesn't support css whitespace? :-(

Hello all,

Lawrence Lee was kind enough to send me this snippet.

Internet Explorer and Standards
Feb 7
Michael Wallent is Microsoft's product unit manager for Internet Explorer

http://msdn.microsoft.com/voices/dude.asp

"An example of a feature that we didn't implement (and probably won't ever) is the white-space property. This determines whether the extra spaces in the content are shown or collapsed. It's meant to have the same effect as the

 tag. One of the central notions we have is that if you can set a property, you can set it dynamically. Any property can change over time. The white-space property turns out to have some really bad effects on performance and predictability if you can change it over time, because of its interaction with HTML compatibility and parsing rules. We decided that it was lower priority than other work that we needed to do."

Later,
Lawrence
Editor, Tomalak's Realm <http://www.tomalak.org/>

I've come up with a solution that I think will work. It's more work but should suffice. I'm dropping the white-space property all together and replacing space runs with &nbsp; entity runs.

Toodle-loooooooo..........
Thomas