Verisign and NSI

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:3/7/2000; 8:44:41 AM
Topic:Verisign and NSI

A little story: Recently I've been the victim of identity theft involving NSI. I recently got a paper mail from NSI saying "Thank you for registering dogsgoods.com". I had never registered this domain and I had no idea my name and contact information was being used as the admin contact for this site. Contacting NSI to remedy this situation have so far yielded no solution. NSI people I talked to fail to see the problem, they don't understand how it's possible that I don't want to be listed as an admin contact for a domain name. They ask "What's wrong? Isn't the domain name all paid for?".

The "dogsgood.com" domain is registered to a Korean fellow in Seoul. No email or phone contact. Wonderful! :( And I'm listed as the admin contact. I'm waiting for the FBI and NSA to knock on my door in the middle of the night when "dogsgood.com" is found to be involved in money laundering or disseminating child porn or nuclear secrets, or whatever.

How could this have happened? NSI does have my contact information in their databases, the contact information that the people used to register this bogus admin contact is exactly what's in NSI's DB already. They accept whatever information a domain name registrant gives them, without checking or verifying. Clearly untenable.

Here's hoping that the deal between Verisign and NSI is going to help prevent situations like this from happening. Electronically registering domain names should involve electronic irrefutable signatures for all parties involved. This would prevent someone from involving innocent bystanders such as myself in this way.

If you have ideas how I could correct this situation, please send email to jyl@best.com. Thanks for listening.