Re: Time for ZopeFish?

Author:David Brown
Posted:4/25/2000; 9:46:03 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

I'm still on the brickwall part of the learning curve for zope. Things sometimes work, sometimes don't, and I can't see the clear reason for either. It's like banging your head against a wall, but less of a relief when you stop.

Boy, I can sure identify with that.

Like I said in another post, getting the Pike part to work was much easier than learning what I need to know to get ZopeFish to do Manila-like things.

It was all going great, until I added the equivalent of "Edit This Page" sort of functionality.

Which brings up another train of thought I've been having -- I'm not always comfortable copying functionality outright. UserLand has created a product that is very recognizeable, and I sometimes feel that I'm cheating if I replicate the same look.

But on the other hand, copying the Manila look (edit this page buttons, the basic site structure, etc) means that people will know how it works, and can be up to speed quickly. And it also means that I had better make sure that the functionality is similar, so that I do not confuse writers that move between systems.

Back to the original theme here -- Zope has a lot of functionality, but the learning curve resembles a step function more than anything else.

dave