Re: Time for ZopeFish?

Author:David Brown
Posted:4/25/2000; 9:56:09 AM
Topic:Email to Brian Behlendorf

(Hi Nicholas!)

One feature request I'd like to make for Pike would be hooking up the Save command to support arbitrary data types (not just Manila stuff).

Yes yes yes!!!

I had three ideas for Zope and Pike integration. The one that turned into ZopeFish was the most complex, and so the one I dove into, being a masochist of sorts.

But one of the others is that I'd like to extend DTMLDocument and DTMLMethod to allow Pike editing, and since they are general purpose documents, they don't fit into the Manila model. I'd like to be able to call into Pike in a way that says "Edit this stuff, and when done, put it back here."

And the other idea was to come up with a Pike tag, so if you said:

some link text

it would put a link in your page that, when hit, would edit the current document in Pike.

Truthfully, I think that last bit would be the sweet spot for Pike-Zope integration. ZopeFish is a personal itch that I'm scratching, but I know I'd use the pikeButton all over the place if I could.

dave